Counterpoint published its quarterly quarterly smartphone summary this morning. Below you will quickly see the key factors in the 2nd quarter together with an infographic that gives you a snapshot of which brands lead in each of the five most important market segments worldwide.
Always remember that this is not about who got the most profit, which of course is the most important factor, it’s just about volume shipments. If it was a profit report, Apple would be number one after a mile. Therefore, analytical companies focus on a statistic that actually makes it look like a real race. As far as profits go, it is not.
Q2-20 Global snapshot for the smartphone market
- Global smartphone shipments fell the highest 26% the year before and reached 276.02 million units in the second quarter of 2020.
- All regions (APAC, LATAM, MEA, Europe and North America) recorded a decline in the quarter, including China and India
- Within regions, LATAM fell the highest (37% YYYY), followed by MEA (24% YYYY).
- Huawei surpassed Samsung to become the number one brand in the global smartphone market in the second quarter of 2020.
- Apple remained resilient during the COVID-19 pandemic as iPhone shipments grew 2% during the second quarter of 2020.
- Realme was the fastest growing brand in the second quarter of 2020. It grew by 11% during the quarter as more markets in Europe and India began to recover in June
- 5G smartphone shipping increased to 12% in the second quarter of 2020 from 7% in the previous quarter. China accounted for 80% of global 5G shipments in the second quarter of 2020.
Click on the image below to enlarge