Designed with privacy and security in mind
Security and privacy are fundamental to the design of Apple hardware, software and services. With the HomePod mini, the information “Hey Siri” is first recognized locally on the device, or the user activates Siri by touch, will be sent to the Apple servers. Requests are not linked to the user’s Apple ID, and personal information is not sold to advertisers or other organizations. The HomePod mini works with the iPhone to complete messaging and note requests on the device without revealing that information to Apple.
- Siri Shortcuts created on iPhone and iPad is available on the HomePod mini, so users can ask Siri on the HomePod mini to start a pot of coffee, control a robot vacuum cleaner, add milk to the grocery list and more.
- Ambient sounds, including rain, fireplace, electricity and more, offers the perfect background noise to focus, relax or fall asleep. Siri can set a sleep time so that the sounds automatically stop playing.
- Find my helps find a misplaced iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or Apple Watch by playing a sound to find the location.
- Web search results from HomePod mini can be sent directly to the user̵
- Music alarms let users wake up to a favorite song, playlist or radio station from Apple Music.
HomePod mini and the environment
HomePod mini was designed with the environment in mind and supports Apple’s plan to have a net zero climate impact over the entire business, which includes supply chain production and all product life cycles, by 2030. HomePod mini uses 99 percent recycled rare earth elements, with the neodymium magnet in the speaker driver using 100 percent recycled rare earth elements. The seamless mesh fabric is made from more than 90 percent recycled plastic, and all packaging fibers are from responsibly managed forests or recycled sources. The HomePod mini is also free of mercury, brominated flame retardants, PVC and beryllium.
The HomePod mini uses power-efficient components and software that can intelligently shut them down during periods of inactivity. For example, through optimized power management features and a highly efficient power supply, the HomePod mini has been designed to be efficient in low voltage mode, where most of the time is spent. The result is that the HomePod mini is energy efficient right out of the box. The HomePod mini uses 75 percent less energy than the stringent ENERGY STAR requirements.