During the earnings call on Tuesday, Apple CEO Tim Cook said the company wants to create the new Mac Pro in the United States, apparently responding to a tweet from President Trump.
"When it comes to exceptions, we've been making Mac Pro in the United States," Cook said. "We will continue to do so. So we are currently working and investing in capacity for that, because we want to continue to be here. And that's what lies behind the exclusions. So we explain it and hope for a positive result."
President Trump last week took to Twitter to say that Apple would not be exempt from tariffs on Mac Pro parts after the company called for exclusions.
"Apple will not be offered tariff disclaimer or relief for Mac Pro parts made in China," Trump said. "Do them in the US, no tariffs!"
When the "Pro Trash" Mac Pro was launched, Apple made a big fuss about the manufacturing and assembly process, which took place in the United States. Apple didn't mention whether it would do the same for the new Mac Pro, but Cook's recent comments suggest it was the plan all along.
The new Mac Pro is expected to be released this fall, and the base model starts at $ 6,000.
Everything you need to know about Mac Pro 201