Apple updated its MacBook Pros today with new, faster processors and changes to the notebook keyboard mechanism. According to an Apple press release:
The 15-inch MacBook Pro now features faster 6- and 8-core Intel Core processors, delivering speeds of up to 10 GHz, while the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar has faster Quad core processors with Turbo Boost speeds up to 4.7 GHz.
Apple says the new 15-inch MacBook Pro with an 8-core processor is up to two times faster than the previous top-quad core model. To put the performance into perspective, Apple claims that:
- Music producers can play massive multi-track projects with up to two times more Alchemy plug-ins in Logic Pro X.
- 3D designers can render scenes up to twice faster in Maya Arnold .
- Photographers can use complex edits and filters up to 75 percent faster in Photoshop.
- Developers can compile code up to 65 percent faster in Xcode.
- Researchers and researchers can calculate complex fluid dynamics simulations up to 50 percent faster in TetrUSS.
- Video editors can edit up to 11 simultaneous multicam streams with 4K video in Final Cut Pro X.
Interestingly, Apple's press release does not mention the MacBook Pro keyboard. However, the company spoke to Matthew Panzarino of TechCrunch who was told:
- The MacBook Pro keyboard mechanism has had a material change in the mechanism. Apple says this new keyboard mechanism composition will reduce the dual type / no type of problem. Apple will not specify what it has done, but doubtful tears of the keyboard will reveal what's up to date.
- Although Apple thinks this change will reduce the problem, it also includes all butterfly keyboards over its notebook line into its keyboard service application. This means that the current MacBook Pros and even the models being released today will get keyboard repairs covered at no cost, in warranty, and without warranty.
- Apple tells me that repair times for keyboards have been longer than they wanted. It makes significant improvements to Apple Stores repair processes to make repairs faster for troubled customers.
According to Panzarino, non-pull keyboards will be replaced with the new fourth generation keyboard found in these updated MacBook Pros.  It is not uncommon for Apple to resolve product updates just before a major event that does not cut for the main note presentation. Laptops with faster CPUs all fall into that category. With the company's annual developer conference just around the corner, today's announcement is probably also designed to try to satisfy one of the largest pro user groups that the company is trying to put keyboard problems behind it.
Unlock MacStories Extras
Club MacStories offers exclusive access to additional MacStories content . It's only possible to tell if this version of the MacBook Pro keyboard is more reliable than previous iterations. , delivered every week; It is also a way of supporting us directly.
Club MacStories helps you find the best apps for your devices and get the most out of your iPhone, iPad and Mac. Plus, it's made in Italy.
Starting at $ 5 / month, with an annual option available. Join the club.
A Club MacStories membership includes:
- MacStories Weekly newsletter, delivered weekly on Friday with app collections, tips, iOS workflows, and more;
- Monthly log ] newsletter, delivered once a month with stories, app notes, personal magazines and more,
- Access for occasional lookups, discounts and free downloads.