If you do not have it
heard, we cooperate with Veertu to combine MacStadium
infrastructure with Duck virtualization . Duck is a powerful and
user-friendly virtualization engine for continuous integration on macOS and that
provides an alternative to our traditional VMware private clouds.
Up to now, MacStadium
private clouds have always been built on VMware. VMware is one
established, trusted solution that has (and will be) around forever and
provides technical support and escalation of the company / service provider class.
VMware is infinitely scalable with dedicated SAN and thousands of hosts, and Instant
Clones in VMware for 6 . 7 claims to give
even faster World Cup performance.
great so why duck? If you do not know or want to learn something about VMware,
Duck is a great alternative. It's super easy to set up and come with excellent
documentation. Duck is built on Mac, so it works on all Mac hardware and all
versions of macOS. Duck is tailored to function as part of a CI workflow and can easily be integrated with existing container-based DevOps CI pipelines.
This includes features such as Instant Boot and an image management registry that make it easy to manage multiple World Cup templates. This eliminates the need to have shared storage infrastructure when you have more than one machine.
Both systems provide
virtualization on mac hardware Both have REST APIs and are fully automated.
VMware Instant Clones looks very similar to Duck Instant Start / Fast Boot World Cup.
The costs become comparable when licensing and hardware requirements are taken
consideration. Absolute performance will ultimately depend on your workloads,
but this is where our sales engineers can help.
Great, so how are you doing?
I decide what's best for me? There are some ways out. In a nutshell, choose:
Duck if …
- You want
Simplify managing a library of World Cup images / templates
- You do not know / do not want to learn anything about VMware
- You must be immediately compatible with new macOS releases
- You want to use hardware other than Mac Pro like Mac mini or iMac Pro
- You can get behind "New Technology" from a long-term perspective
- You are interested in adding "Anka Flow" to bring cloud World Cup to your local machine [1
- You need more developed plugins / API integration support
- You need something about using internal SSDs vs. SAN
VMware if …
- An Overview of Well Proven Security and Compliance
- You already know about VMware (or willing to learn)
- You will benefit from DRS and Instant Clone features to reduce resource usage
- You're welcome waiting for new MacOS releases to be debugged / supported and waiting for new Mac hardware to do it on VMware HCL (for example, only Mac Pros are available at the moment).
- You will have / need security features such as encrypted storage space at rest, world-class encryption for secure key storage, or virtual E / W firewall for world-wide isolation / microsegmentation.
Engineers are always available to answer any questions and help decide which
The system would work best with your individual use case. If you are interested in
try duck, our private beta is open now. Visit https://www.macstadium.com/anka