This week, along with our digital digital researcher and Slackroom security guru, @dougee (Andy J) is for a Cyber Security Special to talk about passwords, password handlers, browsers, tracking, fingerprints, AV / Malware protection and much more. We even find time to fit into a few short news too!
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Listeners of this show may require $ 10 of purchase of Luminar and / or Aurora HD 201
Why not join and join Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join the chat!
We can now also be found on Spotify, Soundcloud and even YouTube.
Recorded February 17, 2019
Listen to the show:https://pinecast.com/listen/f9c490eb-40a9-46df-b70f-b0704d01cfb4.mp3
This and other episodes are available at:  iTunes | Overcast | Spotify | Soundcloud | YouTube | Google Play | Direct Download | RSS | Pinecast | Essential Apple | My Mac
At this week's show:
Andy J (aka @dougee)
- Americans and Cyber Security – Pew Internet
- Top 10 Security Practices – Cal Poly
- 2019 State of Malware report: Trojans and cryptomines dominate the threat landscape – Malwarebytes Blog
- The best Mac antivirus program in 2019
- How to get as private as possible on Apple's iPad and iPhone – Computerworld
- 99 Free Privacy Tools That Will Keep You Safe Online in 2019 – Cloudwards
- 7 Security Tips to Stop Apps from Stealing Your Data – CNET
- Two Factor and U2F Authentication
- VPNs – so many out there, but be careful that the one you're using is recognized (and I'm never sure that comparison sites don't take a backlash to promote one or more services … call me cynically)
- Advertising / Content Protection / Anti-Trackers
- Ghostery / Ghostery Lite / Ghostery Plus
- Ad Block Plus
- Crystal Content Blocker (iOS)
- iOS KeyChain
- 1 Password
- Password Boss   readers
- New MacOS Malware Variant of Shlayer (OSX) Discovered – Carbon Black
- Apple's latest update for iOS 12 does it Apple succeeds in transferring subscriptions – BGR
- Apple is sued because two-factor authentication on the iPhone or Mac takes too much time – Apple Insider
- Apple buys voting company PullString in the deal worth less than $ 100M, the report says – AppleInsider
- Apple buys digital marketing firm DataTiger – Apple Insider
- & Surveillance capitalism & # 39; has gone rogue. We Must Fight Its Abuses – Washington Post
- Google was not forced to refuse any nest customers to reset their potentially compromised passwords – Gizmodo
- "Google, this is false as hell" – One of the fathers of Google's Internet blasts for how Chromecast behaves in the home network – Business Insider
- Consumer groups call out resellers in a bid for better IoT security – Digital Trends  The United States needs an online privacy law, says GAO Congress – CNet
JUST A SNIPPET  For things that are no more than a flypast
- TCL works on a folding phone that bends into a smartwatch – CNet
Nemo's Hardware Store (55:24)
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery – Protect yourself from tracking, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com – Never give your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 "avatars" with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $ 0.99 US / £ 2.50 per month thereafter …
- ProtonMail – End-to-end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE … what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it maybe? Prices also start from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So Much More Than Names! Create whole identities (free) with all the information you ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end up encrypted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – A Fabulous Podcast Hosting Service With Costs Starting From Nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated or paid to promote any of these services … We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel that they are unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a great SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack Room without whom we would not have half the stories we actually do – we all thank them for their contributions and dedication.
- You can always help us with a few pennies using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a small refund on everything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show so much and would like to make a regular donation, please join Patreon or use Pinecast Tips Jar (who accepts one-time or permanent donations )
- And a HUGE thanks to the patrons already doing.