Registered May 26, 2019
This week, along with half-time co-founder Nick (@spligosh), I am Riley and Donny (@rtteachr) Yankellow, to look at the stories from last week or so. Of course, after the week shining news when I recorded with John Chidgey, there has been a real flood of news over the last 7-10 days. Including a new MacBook Pro, WWDC19 "invitations", the entire Huawei "blacklisting" affair, a strange little game device from Panic and a depressingly long list of security stories.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Listeners of this show may require $ 1
- Get Donny's 2FunDad's iMessage Stickers FREE
Why not join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom Link to sign up and join chats!
We can now also be found at RadioPublic (https://radiopublic.com/the-essential-apple-podcast-6rROkd), PlayerFM (https://player.fm/series/the-essential-apple-show ) and TuneIn (https://tunein.com/podcasts/Technology-News/Rampant-Mumblings-p726252/) as well as all the other sites previously available.
Listen to the show:https://pinecast.com/listen/d0b3f330-9864-4b6c-9a54-b1568dcd7e0e.mp3
This and other episodes are available at:
iTunes | Overcast | Essential Apple | My Mac | Pinecast | Spotify | Soundcloud | YouTube | RadioPublic | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Play | Direct Download | RSS
At this week's show:
- Apple announces more powerful 8-core MacBook Pro – 9to5 Mac
- Apple offers free keyboard replacement program for MacBook, MacBook Pro – Zdnet
- Apple announces its Worldwide Developers Conference 2019 to be held June 3-7 in San Jose, CA – Macworld
- Reusing the theme "Mind blowing" from the Showtime event with Monkey, Robot, Skull, Alien and Unicorn is interesting and not something I think I've seen before
- Pegatron moves iPad and MacBook production from China – Cult of Mac
- 71% of higher education students would prefer to use a Mac, says new research – Redmond Pie
- Apple faces redress over alleged iTunes and Apple Music data sales – Apple Insider
- Former Apple reseller Ahrendts says " Mission Achieved, "Refusing Reported Criticism – Apple Insider
- Huawei's European Customers Are On Hold by US Ban – New York Times
- Adobe Warns Customers with Potential Legal Action to Use Older Versions of Creative Sky Apps – Mac Rumors
- Panic announces Playdate gaming device: "It's yellow. It fits in your pocket. It has a beautiful black and white screen. It's not super cheap, but not super expensive. Plays new games from some amazing creators. Plus it has a tissue. " – Playdate
- Look for problems before installing a Windows 10 update – CNet
SECURITY AND PRIVATE
- WhatsApp detects" targeted "surveillance attacks – BBC News
- Snapchat employees spied on users at to abuse internal tools – 9to5 Mac
- San Francisco is the first US city to ban face recognition – BBC News
- California Senate Can Prohibit Face Detection Technology in Police Cameras – Engadget
- Google remembers its Bluetooth Titan Security Keys due to a security error – Tech Crunch
- 33 Linksys router models leak full history of all devices connected – Ars Technica
- Bug-hunter reveals another "makes me admin" Windows 10 zero-day – and promises: "It's more where it came from" – The Register
- Internet Security Apocalypse you probably missed (OpEd) – The New York Times
VALUE A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- This macOS tool automatically opens all Apple News links in Safari – 9to5 Mac
- BeLight Software's Amadine vector drawing app lets beta £ 20 in Mac App Store, $ 20 US Direct … free trial on Amadinside
- iOS Game Oddmar
Nemo's Hardware Store (33:57)  Key Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery – Protect yourself from tracking tracks, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 "avatars" with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $ 0.99 US / £ 2.50 per month thereafter …
- ProtonMail – End-to-end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE … what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it maybe? Prices also start from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So Much More Than Names! Create whole identities (free) with all the information you ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end up encrypted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – A Fabulous Podcast Hosting Service With Costs Starting From Nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated or paid to promote any of these services … We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel that they are unique or unique in their field, or in some cases just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a great SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack Room without whom we would not have half the stories we actually do – we all thank them for their contributions and dedication.
- You can always help us with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a small refund on everything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show so much and would like to make a regular donation, please join Patreon or use Pinecast Tips Jar (who accepts one-time or permanent donations )
- And a HUGE thanks to the patrons already doing.