Recorded July 28, 2019
This week, Apple spent $ 1 billion to get most of Intel's modem business, Facebook got $ 5Bn fine (but with amnesty for everything they've chucked in), an ex Facebook and CIA employee says "Facebook knows you better than CIA ever will," Trump says Apple will not be exempt from tariffs and that the Flyboard guy failed to fly the channel to mark the 110th anniversary of Louis Bleriot's 1
Sorry if the sound is a touch off, Mark seems to have gotten quieter and more clipped as the show went … possibly a bandwidth issue – I can't say for sure. I leveled it as much as I could, but it has introduced a small amount of buzz
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Listeners on this show may demand $ 10 off the purchase of Luminar and / or Aurora HD 2019 use the coupon code EssentialApple in the box to get your extra discount!
- Get Donny Yankellow & # 39; s 2FunDad's iMessage Stickers FREE
- Donny's Drawing App Offer Buy the app now for 2 category prizes and 1/3 off! When the third category is added, the price will go up! App Store
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom link to register and join the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has started a family-friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because the Darkroom channel in Slack has become so popular – if you're interested, head to Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
Listen to the show:https://pinecast.com/listen/6f6cd3e9-fab0-4290-8792-7a79ff4cf05b.mp3  This and other episodes are available at:
iTunes | Cloudy | Essentially Apple | My Mac | Pinecast | Spotify | Soundcloud | YouTube | RadioPublic | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Play | Direct Download | RSS
At this week's show:
- Apple buys majority of Intel's smartphone modem business – Apple Newsroom
- Intel CEO explains why company leaves smartphone modem business – Yahoo Finance
- Donald Trump says US will not waive tariffs for Apple's new Mac Pro to be made in China – 9to5 Mac
- Since last week, two UK “Unlimited Mobile Broadband” Alternatives Appeared: Three and Vodafone – (https://www.4g.co.uk/unlimited-mobile-broadband/)
- The Vodafone offer is 5G and around £ 50 UK a month, but the three deals are available for prices in the range of £ 20- £ 30 …
- Don't fall for the 5G error – IT Pro  SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Facebook knows more about you than CIA – Wired
- Facebook pays $ 5 billion Bot when regulator settles Cambridge Analytica complaint – The Guardian
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Kanex launches three MacBook-friendly USB-C hubs, priced from $ 60-9 for 5 Macs
- Kodak Mobile Film Scanner is an inexpensive cardboard-based way to scan 35mm film and slides – DP Review
JUST A SNIPPET
For things not worth more than a flypast
- Flyboard inventor Franky Zapata fails to cross channel – Sky News
Nemo's Hardware Store (43:22)
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while surfing.
- 33mail.com – Never give your real email address back online.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 "avatars" with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $ 0.99 US / £ 2.50 UK per month then …
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE … what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN that might come with it? Prices also start from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So Much More Than Names! Create complete identities (free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end-to-end encoded messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fantastic podcast hosting service with costs starting from scratch.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services … We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel that they are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us at:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Essential Apple Podcast 144: School's Out for Summer … Also a great SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn't have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and dedication.
- You can always help us with a few penny by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so that we get a small setback on everything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show so much and would like to make a regular donation, consider joining Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts outstanding or regular donations )
- And a GREAT thank you to the patrons who already do.