Recorded May 3, 2020
This week, I am again joined by MacJim and Mark to talk about Jim's new microphone, iOS 13.5 beta, Apple bugs, Apple's earnings report, the NHS contact tracking app, and more.  GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Glenn Fleishman's Working From Home book is completely FREE and can be downloaded here
- Steve at Geeks Corner will have several gifts including Luminar 4 and Affinity software in the near future. Follow the page or follow him on Twitter @GeekCorner_uk
Why not join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom link to sign up and join the chatter!
Slacker @MacJim has a family-friendly Flickr group for listeners to share photos because Darkroom's Slack channel has become so popular ̵
Listen to the show:https://pinecast.com/listen/90f2446e-d1b1-4fc2-b745-5bb001f06cbb.mp3
This and other episodes are available on:
iTunes | Cloudy | Essentially Apple | My Mac | Pinecast | Spotify | Soundcloud | YouTube | RadioPublic | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Play | Direct Download | RSS
- Apple 13.4.5 Beta… becomes 13.5 – Forbes
- & # 39; Psychic Paper & # 39; an extra powerful but easily understood iOS exploit – Daring Fireball
- Fortunately, it seems that this bug was not known and is currently up to 13.5 in Beta – but is / was a hell of a security miss!
- macOS bug fills empty MacBook storage – Laptop Mag
- macOS JPG File-Truncation – Error more pervasive than originally thought – A news page
 Valve's SteamVR Quits MacOS Support After Introducing WWDC 2017 – 9to5 Mac
- Apple Facilitates Unlocking Face ID While Using Mask – iPhone Canada
- Total Revenue Grows, Services Revenue Reaches High $ 13.3 billion – Apple
- Apple CEO Tim Cook says the company saw an uptick across the board at the end of April thanks to stimulus and concern from home – CNBC
- Apple Q2 2020 Results – $ 58.3 Billion Revenue – Mac Stories
- NHS rejects Apple-Google coronavirus app plan – BBC News
- Disappointing to say the least – but sadly (in my view) surprising as the UK government sees u t to have a dangerously high desire to know what and who we are all interacting with.
- Contact track app sample on Isle of Wight – BBC
- Cliqz closes browser and search technology areas – Hubert Burda Media
SAFETY & PRIVACY
- Europe's GDPR legislation shows To Be Carefree Toothless – Input Mag
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Darkroom 4.6 Adds Video to Its Excellent Image Editing Workflow – MacStories
- Google Meet will soon be free for anyone with a Gmail account – Engadget
- Apple MagSafe 1 to MagSafe 2 adapter £ 9 GBP on Amazon
- New high quality Raspberry Pi camera with interch angular lenses launched from $ 50 – Geeky Gadgets
NEMO & # 39; S HARDWARE STORE
- Nemo's daughter Sheba reports on her new iPhone SE 2020.
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Pixel Privacy – a fantastic resource full of great articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J.'s Security Tips.
- Ghostery – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while surfing.
- 33mail.com – Never give your real email address back online.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 "avatars" with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free the first year and priced from $ 0.99 US / £ 2.50 UK per month thereafter … However, you can keep 2 free avatars.
- ProtonMail – end to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE … what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN that might come with it? Prices also start from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – easy to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create complete identities (for free) with all the information you may ever need.
- Cable – free for personal use, open source and end-to-end coded messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fantastic podcast hosting service with costs starting from scratch.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services … We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel that they are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us at:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a great SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack Room without whom we would not have half the stories we actually do – we thank everyone for your contributions and dedication.
- You can always help us with a few penny by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so that we get a small setback on everything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show so much and want to make a regular donation, consider joining Patreon or using Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts outstanding or regular donations)
- And a GREAT thank you to the patrons who already do.