Recorded September 13, 2020
Nick and Jim are both back, and we take a look at some stories from the week and of course talk about the Time Flies event … and to wander on after the show.
For those listeners who are unfamiliar with the art this week, there is one from an old British comedy show called “It’s not half hot mom” which had a tune tune that went “Hey! Hi! The boys are here, the boys are going to entertain you!”
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Glenn Fleishman’s Working From Home book is completely FREE and can be downloaded here (https://www.takecontrolbooks.com/working-from-home/), and now he has also released Take Control of Zoom Essentials for free as well.
- Steve at Geeks Corner has restarted the podcast, which is a 5-15 min show of his thoughts on technology. Also keep an eye on his website or follow him on Twitter @GeekCorner_uk to look for regular gifts.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom link to register and join the chat!
Slacker @ MacJim has a family-friendly Flickr group that listeners can share photos with because Slack’s Darkroom channel has become so popular – if you’re interested, head over to Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Apple Podcasts | Cloudy | Essential Apple | My Mac | Pinecast | Soundcloud | RadioPublic | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Play | Direct download | RSS
On this week’s show:
- @spligosh on Twitter very occasionally.
- Sometimes appears on Bart Busschots’ Let’s Talk Apple
- Sutton Park Circuit church service on YouTube
- Apple’s September 15 event is said to be focused on the iPad and Apple Watch, not iPhones – Mac rumors
- Apple opens the door to game streaming services with new App Store policies – Apple Insider
- Apple updates more guidelines for reviewing apps that address game streaming services, in-app purchases, advertising and more – MacStories
- Apple’s Homekit platform is embracing a host of new accessories – iDrop News
- SoftBank allegedly prepares to sell ARM to Nvidia for more than $ 40 billion dollars – The Verge
- Nvidia Eyes Biggest-Ever Chip Deal in the hunt for SoftBank’s arm – Bloomberg
- Scotland launches COVID-19 contact tracking app with Apple and Google API – 9to5 Mac
- Vivaldi browser introduces Break Mode: the new way to pause the Internet – Vivaldi
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Free VPN is a nightmare about privacy. You should not download them – Wired UK
- BlockBlock – Objective See
VERDT AND CHIPP / SIGNIFICANT TIPS
- DetailsPro is a new app that allows developers to create SwiftUI projects on iPhone and iPad – 9to5 Mac
- Fenêtre (https://getfenet.re/) – Party in front, business behind. Picture in picture for your mac – Fenêtre (https://getfenet.re/)
NEMO’S HARDWARE SHOP
- Nemo will be back soon with more hardware …
Top Apple Recommended Services:
- Pixel Privacy – a fantastic resource full of great articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J’s Safety Tips.
- Ghost – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Easy login – E-mail anonymization and available e-mail for login / registration at
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy – One-time email addresses
- Sudo – Get up to 9 avatars with email addresses, phone numbers and more to hide your online identity. Free the first year and priced from $ 0.99 US / £ 2.50 UK per month thereafter … You get to keep two free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – encrypted, open source, finally, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE … what more can you ask for?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN that might fit with it? Prices also start from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – easy to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create full identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – free for personal use, open source and end to end encrypted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fantastic podcast hosting service with costs starting from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated or paid to promote any of these services … We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are unique or unique in their field, or in some cases just the best value for money in our opinion .
Social media and slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com/Soundcloud / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a great one CALL OUT to the members of the Slack Room without whom we did not have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contribution and commitment.
- You can always help us with a few cents by using ours Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a small setback on everything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show so much and want to make a regular donation, you can consider joining ours Patreon or use Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one-time fees or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thanks to the protectors who already do.