Recorded October 4, 2020
This week Nick and Simon are joined by Mark (who has problems with his mixer, so his sound is unfortunately not as good as it should be – I did what I could to even it out – thank you so much Chris’ dynamic compressor – but in parts is he a little weak or clipped) and we walk around in what is and does not happen this week in Apple.
This week’s show art was drawn by Jim ̵
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Glenn Fleishman’s Working From Home book is completely FREE and can be downloaded here, and now he has also released Take Control of Zoom Essentials for free as well.
- Steve at Geeks Corner has restarted the podcast, which is a 5-15 min show of his thoughts on technology. Also keep an eye on his website or follow him on Twitter @GeekCorner_uk to look for regular gifts.
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom link to register and join the chat!
Slacker @ MacJim has a family-friendly Flickr group that listeners can share photos with because Slack’s Darkroom channel has become so popular – if you’re interested, head over to Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Apple Podcasts | Cloudy | Essential Apple | My Mac | Pinecast | Soundcloud | RadioPublic | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Play | Direct download | RSS
On this week’s show:
- @spligosh on Twitter very occasionally.
- Sometimes appears on Bart Busschots’ Let’s Talk Apple
- Sutton Park Circuit church service on YouTube
- @oceanspeed, @essentialapple and @essentialmac on Twitter
- Puts important Apple-related stuff on YouTube
- Co-host of The Watching Men Podcast with Karl Madden
- Tim Cook could earn one million more Apple shares by 2025 – The Mac Observer
- Apple launches new detailed Apple Maps experience in the UK, take a look around selected cities – 9to5 Mac
- Google Project Zero Researcher joins Apple to improve iOS security – iPhone in Canada
- Apple launches new macOS Mojave 10.14.6 additional update with critical bug fixes – 9to5 Mac
- How To Fix iOS 14 Error Causing Larger Battery Operation – Gizmodo
- Why Your Next iPhone Can Come Without Apps – Inc.
- Pre-installed Apple apps may be banned in Europe – 9to5 Mac
- Apple Card mistypes AT & T bill as ‘Waters, Hardy & Co’, confusing users – iMore
- Apple says Apple Card invoice mix has been resolved, but tax firm still flooded with phone calls – AppleInsider
- Apple captures electronics recycler illegally reselling over 100,000 iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches – 9to5 Mac
- Apple kept the iPhone recycling scandal a secret for several months – Apple 3.0
- Judge Excoriates Epic’s dishonesty in hearing about lawsuit against Apple – Daring Fireball
- Microsoft gets another global power outage in a week – IT Pro
- Windows on ARM is getting many apps thanks to a new x64 emulation – The Verge
VERDT AND CHIPP / SIGNIFICANT TIPS
NEMO’S HARDWARE STORE (28:49)
Key Apple Recommended Services:
- Pixel Privacy – a fantastic resource full of great articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee Blog for Andy J’s Safety Tips.
- Ghost – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Easy login – E-mail anonymization and available e-mail for login / registration at
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy – One-time email addresses
- Sudo – Get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to hide your online identity. Free the first year and priced from $ 0.99 US / £ 2.50 UK per month thereafter … You get to keep two free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – encrypted, open source, finally, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE … what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN that might fit with it? Prices also start from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – easy to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create full identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – free for personal use, open source and end to end encrypted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fantastic podcast hosting service with costs starting from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated or paid to promote any of these services … We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel that they are unique or unique in their field, or in some cases just the best value for money in our opinion .
Social media and slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com/Soundcloud / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a great one CALL OUT to the members of the Slack Room without whom we did not have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contribution and commitment.
- You can always help us with a few cents by using ours Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a small setback on everything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show so much and want to make a regular donation, you can consider joining ours Patreon or use Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one-time fees or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thanks to the protectors who already do.