This week, Mark and Jim will be with me to talk about the possibilities for the upcoming event … and take a quick look at this week’s news.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Glenn Fleishman’s Working From Home book is completely FREE and can be downloaded here, and now he has also released Take Control of Zoom Essentials for free as well.
- Steve at Geeks Corner has restarted the podcast, which is a 5-1
Why not come and join the Slack community? You can now just click on this Slackroom link to register and join the chat!
Slacker @ MacJim has a family-friendly Flickr group that listeners can share photos with because Slack’s Darkroom channel has become so popular – if you’re interested, go to Essential Apple Flickr and request an invitation.
Listen to the show:
This and other episodes are available at:
Apple Podcasts | Cloudy | Essential Apple | My Mac | Pinecast | Soundcloud | RadioPublic | PlayerFM | TuneIn | Google Play | Direct download | RSS
On this week’s show:
- @oceanspeed, @essentialapple and @essentialmac on Twitter
- Puts important Apple-related stuff on YouTube
- Co-host of The Watching Men Podcast with Karl Madden
- Apple’s next iPhone will be announced on October 13 – The Verge
- Apple’s T2 chip has unpatchable security flaws, claims researcher – Mac rumors
- Apple’s T2 security chip has a bug fix – Ars Technica
- More details about Mac T2 Security Chip Jailbreak – The Mac Observer
- Comment from @Dougee: “My thoughts on this after reading the articles are that it has been blown out of all proportion and mostly click bait headlines as usual. If you are a high value target, you may have a problem. But as you have That said, you need physical access to the device with enough time to force users’ passwords. Vulnerability is not permanent, so for prolonged attacks you will need more access to the device. A good strong login password will protect most users and if you have high quality data , it would be best to use another encryption to protect the data file vault to perform full disk encryption and then use something like Veracrypt to protect sensitive data.Where I think it will be used is in stolen devices, since it is now a way to toughen users’ login to wipe the device and then resell. Always keep the device with you if you are a high value target. “
- Apple got ProtonMail to buy in-app purchases, even though it had been free for years – The Verge
- iOS 14 icon set web designer six figures in six days – 9to5 Mac
- PSA: No, iOS 14 modules cannot hide private information secretly with your keyboard – 9to5 Mac
- Apple extends free trial periods for Apple TV + through February 2021 – 9 to 5 Mac
- Apple’s internal network was hacked for three months – The Mac Observer
- Judge temporarily denies order to Epic and Fortnite will remain banned from App Store – 9to5 Mac
- Apple uses stores as distribution centers to speed up new product deliveries – 9to5 Mac
- House Democrats are pushing Congress to break up Big Tech monopolies – Engadget
- Needham: There’s no real threat to Apple from regulators – CNBC
- Microsoft thumbs its nose over Apple with the new “app fairness” policy – Ars Technica
- Microsoft is digging into Apple with 10 principles of fairness in the app store, but they do not apply to Xbox – Geekwire
- My opinion is that this is BS – the Mac is no less open than Windows, and developers may or may not be in MAS. NOTE that Microsoft does not include Xbox in this – it is a closed market just like iOS … MS takes 30% just like everyone else …
SECURITY & PRIVACY
- Britain’s ‘mass surveillance’ regime is illegal, the European Court of Justice – IT Pro declares
- Wi-Fi Security Risk During Pandemic – FBI Warning – 9to5 Mac
WORTH A CHIRP / ESSENTIAL TIPS
- Sketchpad 5.1 – Draw, create, share! Sketchpad: Free online drawing program for all ages. Create digital artwork to share online and export to popular JPEG, PNG, SVG and PDF image formats.
- The chairman of the board of our MUG sent this to everyone as an interesting discovery maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side Mostly covers the UK, but there are a couple of world atlases … Side by side is what makes it special
JUST ONE SNIPPED
For things that are not worth more than a fly paste
- @Dougee says about the Blacklight tool: Blacklight is a great tool as you can check the site without visiting it. When you visit a site with an ad block, you do not know in advance whether the block can fully protect your browser, but you are still leaving a fingerprint or being tracked. Blacklight does all this for you. ”
NEMOS HARDWARE SHOP (1:23:16)
Top Apple Recommended Services:
- Pixel Privacy – a fantastic resource full of great articles and advice on how to protect yourself online.
- Doug.ee blog for Andy J’s safety tips.
- Ghost – protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- Easy login – E-mail anonymization and available e-mail for login / registration at
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- AnonAddy – One-time email addresses
- Sudo – Get up to 9 avatars with email addresses, phone numbers and more to hide your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $ 0.99 US / £ 2.50 UK per month thereafter … You get to keep two free avatars though.
- ProtonMail – encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE … what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN that might fit with it? Prices also start from nothing!
- Comparitech DNS Leak Test – easy to use and understand VPN leak test.
- Fake Name Generator – so much more than names! Create full identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – free for personal use, open source and end to end encrypted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fantastic podcast hosting service with costs starting from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated or paid to promote any of these services … We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel that they are unique or unique in their field, or in some cases just the best value for money in our opinion .
Social media and slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com/Soundcloud / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a great one CALL OUT to the members of the Slack Room without whom we did not have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contribution and commitment.
- You can always help us with a few cents by using ours Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a small setback on everything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show so much and want to make a regular donation, you can consider joining ours Patreon or use Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one-time fees or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thanks to the protectors who already do.