Apple was very careful to make the iOS notification system both efficient and easy to use, but a negative side effect of implementing simplicity in this department is that it tends to be somewhat lacking in features, especially where it counts.
Smart notifications is a recently released jailbreak tweak by iOS developer Elias Sfeir which fills the above void by providing users with a host of additional options related to iPhone notifications per app basis.
Some of the best features that SmartNotifications brings to the table are:
- Custom alert sounds for individual apps (15 pre-installed, or add your own)
- Let certain app notifications bypass your iPhone audio switch
- Do not disturb mode per app
- Custom volume level for notifications per app basis
- LED flash alerts per app basis
- And much more…
A short demonstration video from the developer can be found below:
Subscribe to iDB on YouTube
Once installed, users will find a dedicated preferences pane in the Settings app where they can configure tweaks to meet their needs:
Here users can:
- Customize alert settings per app basis
- Customize various notification settings
We dive deeper into each section below so you know what to expect:
Notification settings per app
You start by selecting an app for which you want custom notification settings:
When you select one, you will find the following preference route:
Here you can:
- Turn custom alert sounds on or off for this app
- Select a custom alert sound in relation to the above setting
- Turn off the volume switch off or on for this app
- Invoke a do not disturb mode that keeps alerts quiet when this app is open
- Enable and configure a custom volume level for alerts from this app
- Turn on the LED flash settings for this app
- Select how many times the LED flash should occur (1, 2 or 3 times)
Here you can:
- Choose to automatically delete alerts with just a swipe
- Clear the “Manage” option when swiping on an alert
As you can see, the options brought to the table by SmartNotifications far exceed Apple’s original notification settings. While Apple’s notification system is certainly not broken, it can definitely do with a lift from a tweak like this, so users can have more control over notification behavior.
Those interested in reaping the benefits of SmartNotifications can purchase a $ 1.99 tweak from the Packix repository. Tweak supports jailbroken iOS 13 devices.
Are you planning to extend the notification system to your handset with SmartNotifications? Discuss why or why not in the comments section below.