If you do not find the Apple Watch face of your dreams, you can always change what is available to suit your needs. How to customize a dial in watchOS 7 to use the color scheme and complications you want.
Each release of watchOS introduces new dials and complications, and watchOS 7 is no different. Furthermore, the operating system of the portable device adds some new features, including the ability to share and purchase dials.
However, there is no guarantee that the watch faces you will find or can give you everything you need in terms of style or complications. As with previous generations of watchOS, the best solution is to create your own.
This guide also assumes that the desired Apple Watch face is already installed on the device and is ready for use.
How to bring up options for editing the dial on your Apple Watch
- From the main screen, long press the center of the screen to change the dial is displayed.
- Press Edit under the dial.
- After the changes, repeatedly press Digital Crown to go out to the main clock.
From this point in the menu you can make quite a few changes to a number of component parts of the dial.
How to change the color or main clock of the face function of the Apple Watch
- From the Edit Clock menu, swipe left or right to select the item you want to adjust. The section that is adjusted is named at the top of the screen and is illuminated in the main illustration.
- Rotate Digital Crown to browse the available options. The dots on the page show how far you are in the selection list, and in the case of colors it will be hinted at what the dot will do with the dial.
The options will vary between dials. For example, the Chronograph Pro’s Timescale options change the outer ring of the dial and two of the smaller bells, ranging from a Tachymeter display to a 3-second display, 6-second, 30-second and 60-second variants.
In cases where the dial has a variety of colors, the edit page will allow users to browse between different color themes.
How to change complications on Apple Watch
- From the Edit Clock menu, swipe right to reach complications.
- Press the complication you want to change.
- Swipe up and down, or rotate Digital Crown, to go through the list of options.
- Touch the complication to select it.
You do not need to change the dial from the Apple Watch itself. Instead, you can make changes to the connected iPhone, which has the added benefit of not having the same short menu timeouts as the Apple Watch interface.
To change a dial on iPhone
- To open See app.
- Select the installed dial from My faces.
- Select element or complication you want to change.
- Select its replacement.
- When all the changes have been made, press Back.
As long as the Apple Watch is connected wirelessly, the change will be made immediately. Updates made in the Watch app are displayed on the Apple Watch, and vice versa.