How to enable apps on login
If there are certain apps that you always want to use the moment you boot your Mac, you can set them up to automatically sign in via System Preferences. For example, I have Dropbox and CleanMyMac open every time I restart or restart my iMac. You can set your own items to open automatically by following these steps:
Go to Users and Groups.
Select your account.
Click on "Login Items."
Click the lock icon to allow you to make changes to your account.
Click on the "+" sign, and you can choose an app, file server or just about anything else to open when you sign in.
Once you've added something, you can use the checkboxes to choose to hide it, even though it is still running in the background.
You can prevent items from opening automatically when you log in if you wish. To do so:
When you see the login window, press the Shift key while clicking "
If you do not see the login window, restart your Mac, hold down the Shift key when you see the progress bar in the startup window, and then release the Shift key after the desktop appears.
This will only temporarily disable the automatic login of your selected items. At your next "regular" login, they will automatically reopen.
How to set default apps
Along the same lines, there are standard apps that open certain file types in macOS Mojave. However, you can change this. To open a file once with a specific app, do one of the following:
- Drag the file to the app icon in the Finder or Dock.
- Select the file in the Finder, select "File> Open with," Then select an app.
- Control-click on the file, select "Open with," then select an app.
- Open the app and select then "File> Open."
To change the app that is permanently used to open a file:
- In the Finder, select the file, then select "File> Get Information."
- You can also check-click the file and then select "Get information."
- In the Info window, click on the disclosure triangle next to "Open with."
- Click on the pop-up menu and then select the app.
- To open all files of this type with this app, click "Change All."