- Apple released the first public beta ever for the Apple Watch on Monday, giving each Apple Watch Series 3, 4 and 5 user the opportunity to test watchOS 7 weeks before launch.
- To get watchOS 7 public beta, you need to have iOS 14 public beta on iPhone.
- watchOS 7 adds sleep tracking, new workouts, new watches and directions to Maps.
We’ve been writing about developer and public beta on the iPhone and iPad for many years, but on Monday, Apple rolled out the first watchOS public beta for Apple Watch owners. Until now, Apple Watch users with developer accounts were the only people who managed to test the latest software for Apple̵
Before we tell you how to install watchOS 7 public beta, there are two things you should know. First, there is no way to downgrade back to watchOS 6 once you have installed the beta, so be prepared to live with unfinished software for full release this fall. Second, you need to have iOS 14 public beta installed on your iPhone to get watchOS beta – here are the instructions for that. With that out of the way, we can begin.
After upgrading to iOS 14 public beta on iPhone, follow these steps to get watchOS 7 public beta:
- Visit the Apple Beta Software Program website on your iPhone and sign in with your Apple ID.
- Tap the arrow at the top of the page next to the “Apple Beta Software Program,” then tap “Register your devices” in the menu that appears.
- Tap the watchOS tab, then scroll down and click the “Download Profile” button.
- Once you have downloaded the watchOS 7 public beta profile, you can activate it by going to settings > General > Profiles and device management and press “Install.”
- If you have enabled automatic updates on your Apple Watch, you should receive a notification from the Watch app on your iPhone that the public beta is available. If not, you can check for the update manually by opening the Watch app and going to My watch > General > Software update and press “Download and Install.”
watchOS 7 brings lots of new features to Apple’s popular smartwatch, including a new Sleep app with sleep tracking, several new watch surfaces, four new workouts on the renamed Fitness app (Dance, Functional Strength Training, Core Training and Cooldown), directions for cycling in map and automatic detection of hand washing.
watchOS 7 is compatible with Apple Watch Series 3, Apple Watch Series 4 and Apple Watch Series 5, and you must have an iPhone 6s or later with iOS 14 to install the software and use it on the watch.