Did you know that you can create your own ringtones for incoming texts and conversations? How to make ringtones with GarageBand on iPhone. You must have your device running on iOS 11 or later, recorded a voice memo thirty seconds or less on the Voice Memos app, and saved that recording to the Files app. You must also have GarageBand downloaded to your iPhone if you haven't already. With this tip, you can create a ringtone on your iPhone without using iTunes or Mac!
Related: How to make your favorite song for your iPhone ringtone
To do this:
- Open the GarageBand app (you need to orient your phone in landscape mode while using GarageBand, so make sure you turned off the portrait orientation lock). When the Track tab is selected, swipe through the menu to press Audio Recorder .
- Touch the wrench icon in the upper right. Press Metronome & Count-In .
- Select No sound .
- At the far right of the screen, touch the + symbol.
- On the Song Sections menu that appears, tap Section A .
- Make sure that Automate is turned off and Manual is set to 30.
- Touch Track View Icon that looks like a square made of smaller gray blocks. Then touch the Loop icon .
- Under File tab touch Browse items from the Files app and select the voice memo you previously recorded and saved in the Files app. Drag and drop the file to the track timeline view on the main screen. You can adjust the file (now an audio clip) to the start of the timeline by dragging and dropping.
- Touch the Triangle icon in the upper left and select My Songs from the drop-down list.
- Touch the song file until The sub menu appears. Select Part .
- On the Share Song menu that appears, select Ringtone . You will be asked to provide a new ringtone. If you do or not, press Done on the keyboard.
- Then press Export in the upper right. It may take a minute for the ringtone to export.
- After the export is complete, tap Use audio like . The next command will specify using the ringtone as either a standard ringtone or text tone (you will hear the ringtone you have created with ALL incoming calls or texts), or assign it to a contact.
- If you select Assign to Contact, your contact list will be displayed. Just select the contact for which you want the ringtone. The next prompt will be if you want the ringtone for the contact's incoming call or texts.
- There are NO confirmation messages, so remember which options you choose. If you get tired of your custom voice memo as a ringtone, you can change the ringtone to something more standard from the Settings app.
Now you can create your own custom ringtones on iPhone!
Top Credit: Jacob Lund / Shutterstock.com