You accidentally used an Apple ID or logged in to an Apple ID on a Mac that is not yours or you may not want iCloud access on? If so, you may want to remove the Apple ID and the iCloud account from the Mac. Similarly, you may want to delete an Apple ID from a Mac if you intend to change the Apple ID used on that computer for whatever reason.
This article shows you how to remove an Apple ID and iCloud account from a Mac.
Warning: Please note that deleting an Apple ID and iCloud account from a Mac can lead to unintended consequences, including data loss, loss of sync contacts, loss of Notes sync, inability to use Apps purchased or downloaded with another Apple ID, an inability to access music purchased with another Apple ID, and much more. If you log out of the Apple ID associated with all of this, none of these data will be available on Mac unless Apple ID is used again. Thus, you should not accidentally delete an Apple ID or iCloud account from a Mac.
How to delete an Apple ID / iCloud account from Mac OS
It's a good idea to back up a Mac before changing important system settings like these If you skip a backup, it may result in accidental data loss .
- Go to the Apple menu ð at the top left and then choose "System Preferences & # 39;
- Select "iCloud" from the settings panel options
- Select "Sign Out" from the iCloud Preferences Panel
- Optional but recommended for most users, select all possible options and choose "Save a copy" of iCloud data on the local Mac *
* If you are aiming to remove the iCloud data as well as an Apple ID and iCloud account from a Mac, you may not be able to select "Keep a copy" but it is eventually up to you. Note that inability to do so can lead to permanent data loss.
When logged out of your Apple ID / iCloud account, Mac will no longer have any of the iCloud features, files, or other Apple ID-related data available.
Removing the Mac association from the Apple ID / iCloud account
It may be desirable for some Mac users to follow up an additional step if they plan to. If you never use the current Mac, or if they transfer it to a new owner with a different Apple ID, and To remove the device from your iCloud account, you will remove Mac from the associated Apple ID / iCloud account. The easiest way to do this is from an iPhone or iPad with the same Apple ID:
- Open Settings, and then tap your name to access iCloud Details
- Select "Devices" and then locate Mac you just deleted Apple ID from
- Scroll down and select "Remove from account" to remove that Mac completely from the associated Apple ID / iCloud account