A welcome advancement for the Apple Watch with watchOS 7 is Family Setup, a feature that allows an adult to configure the laptop for a child who does not have an iPhone. Family Setup includes several features to help you manage your child’s device, follow how to set up Apple Watch Schooltime.
Family Setup for Apple Watch is a great way to stay in touch with your kids (or older parents) without needing their own iPhone. And one of the new features focused on children is Schooltime mode (also available to everyone).
It allows parents to set up a school plan for the Apple Watch to stay on a single yellow dial that is easy for teachers or adults to recognize and can be used whether children are learning at home or back in the classroom.
In addition to the yellow dial, Schooltime mode turns on Do Not Disturb and limits interactions to help children (or anyone) stay focused.
What you need to spend school time
Go to the bottom of this post to spend school time on your own Apple Watch.
To set it up on a child̵
To use school time, you need to configure your kids’ Apple Watch with Family Setup (more on Family Setup here). It requires a mobile Apple Watch Series 4, 5, 6 or SE. For the parents who are going to configure it, you need an iPhone 6s or later that runs at least iOS 14.
Note: You can also spend school time on your own Apple Watch if you are running watchOS 7.
How to set up Apple Watch Schooltime
- You will be asked if you want to set up school time while going through the first family setup, press “Turn on school time” in that case (can skip to step 5 below)
- If you set up school time by family setup, go to the Apple Watch app on the iPhone (the adult’s iPhone that did the family setup)> Select all watches> Tap the child watch
- Tap Done and then tap School Time.
- Press “Switch on school time”
- Select “Edit schedule”
- Choose the days and times you want to spend school time for your child
- You can also select “Add time” to create more schedules such as at. 08:00 to 11:00 – 12:00 to 15:00
How to end school
- School time can be left by your child by turning Apple Watch’s Digital Crown> pressing Exit
- This is intended by Apple, so students can check messages, phone calls, etc.
- As a parent, you can see how many times your child has dropped out of school during the day
- Go to the Watch app on iPhone> All watches> Kids watch> School time
How to spend school time on any Apple Watch
- If you want to use school time as an alternative to Do Not Disturb or Theater Mode, you can add it to the Control Center on your Apple Watch
- Swipe up from the bottom of the Apple Watch screen to open the Control Center (may also touch and hold the bottom)
- Scroll to the bottom> tap Edit.
- Press the Add button on the Schooltime button , select Done
- Now in the Control Center you can press the Schooltime button to turn it on
- To end school, turn on Digital Crown and press Exit
Read more 9to5Mac tutorials:
FTC: We automatically use affiliate links for revenue. More.
Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news: