One of the new features that came with watchOS 7 was the ability to share Apple Watch faces. This is a great way to share faces with friends or family who have similar interests; both in facial appearance and features.
You can share an Apple Watch face with all the visual elements as well as the complications. So if you make the most amazing face that you know your bestie would love, share it! Plus, you can share your Apple Watch face online. So if you add it to your blog or show it on social media, others can see it and then download and use it too!
Here we will cover the basics of sharing an Apple Watch face from Watch or iPhone along with how to share it online and how to use a shared face yourself.
Apple Watch Face Sharing
Note that you and your friend must use an Apple Watch Series 3 or later or Apple Watch SE. And you must both use watchOS 7 or later.
If you share a face with a complication for an app the other does not own, they will see the price for it or “Get” for a free app. They can then tap to buy or download the app or select Continue without this app.
Sharing a face directly from the Apple Watch is as easy as a few taps.
1) Make sure you look at the face you want to share on the Apple Watch.
2) Press and hold the face, then press Share button.
3) Select Add contact and then select the contact you want to share with. You can also use the buttons to search for a contact or add a phone number.
4) Press Name of the dial. Then decide if you want to share any complications with or without data, or exclude one from the face. The default is to share complications with data.
5) Press Finished.
6) Alternatively, you can create a message and press when done Send.
If you put together a face on iPhone, you can share it from there as well. To open See app and do the following.
1) Choose the face you want to share from the My Clock or Face Gallery tab.
2) Press Share button. Depending on the type of face you share, you may have an extra step. For example, if you share a photo face, you will be prompted to select the photos you want to share with your face.
3) Press at the top of the spreadsheet that appears Options next to the number of complications in the face if you want to adjust them. You can then choose to include with data or include without data, depending on the complication, or not include. Press Finished when are you finished.
4) Choose yours sharing method and follow the instructions.
You can create a link to share the dial online or take the file and pick it up on your server if you have your own website.
Follow the same steps 1 to 3 above to share your face from iPhone. But this time in the sub-sheet pick Save in files and select a location.
To get the link, press and hold the file you save and select Share > Add people. If necessary, tap Sharing Options to adjust who can access the link. Back on the sharing screen, swipe to the right of the sharing options and select Copy link (press More to display this option if necessary). This puts the link on the clipboard so you can paste it where you want.
To get the file, just open it in Files app where you saved it. Alternatively, you can send it to yourself via email or messages instead of saving it in the Files app.
If you see a dial online or receive a link from a friend, you can easily add your face to the available options. On the iPhone paired with your watch, tap the link for the face and select Add My Faces.
So when you open the Watch app, you should see the newly added face in that part of My watch category. Tap your face to apply it to your watch. And remember that if your face contains a complication for an app you do not own, you have the option to download the app or continue without that complication.
The ability to share Apple Watch faces is not only convenient for family members, but can be a lot of fun for friends. See what you can think of, whether a picture of you with an activity complication to outdo each other or the Stripes face that combines your favorite colors with a Messages complication for fast communication, there are many possibilities!
What type of dial do you want to make and share? Take a look at how you can make a divisible custom dial too!