Just in case you didn’t know, Mac comes with a built-in program, Photo Booth. The app allows you to take a picture and record video using the iSight camera or an external video recorder. The app has many photo effects and a social sharing button that is similar to the features of a popular social networking site. If you have never used your Mac camera to capture moments, you can try it with this app. Learn more about it in our detailed post on how to take a photo or record a video on a Mac.
How to take a photo on your Mac using the Photo Booth app
The app allows you to take a selfie or shoot a series of four photos at once. If you are using an external camera, make sure it is connected and turned on. Then continue with the steps below.
- To open Photo Booth app on your Mac.
- If you look View image preview or View video preview button, click on it to download Take a picture or Record video on the screen.
- Use the button at the bottom left to capture a group four pictures or a single image.
- click on Take a picture button.
After taking a picture, you can see it in the preview section above the Effects button. If you want, you can export or delete it accordingly by right-clicking on the trackpad. You can also use special effects to customize the image while taking it.
How to record a video on your Mac using the Photo Booth app
- To open Photo Booth app
- click on See preview of photos or View video preview button to get Take a picture or Record video button.
- Select Video the option at the bottom left.
- click on Record video button.
- Beat it Stop button when you have finished recording.
Watch the video you took in the preview section. You can export it to a location on your Mac or delete it if it is not up to the mark.
How to save and share selfies and video from Mac
One of the benefits of using Photo Booth is that it instantly lets you share photos on different platforms. How to share your captured moments with friends and family using the app.
- Select the Selfie photo or video you want to share.
- Beat it Share button, then select the appropriate platform to share.
- Mail: Share your captured moments via the Mail app.
- Messages: Insert your selected photos and videos in a new text message.
- AirDrop: Photo Booth will list devices that use AirDrop nearby. Click on a device to share photos or videos.
- Notes: Add photos or videos to a new note.
- Add photos: You can save a photo or video in the Photos app library.
- click on More to explore other options.
To turn off the countdown or Flash for photos on Mac
Just before a picture is taken, a three-second countdown is displayed. Your screen also flashes the moment the picture is taken. As these pre-recording settings can be intrusive, you can easily disable them by following the steps mentioned below.
- Turn off the countdown: Press and hold Option key while clicking the Capture button.
- Disable Flash: Press and hold Shift key while clicking the Photo button.
- Configure Flash: Select Camera → Activate screen flash.
- To turn off both Flash and Countdown at once: Press and hold Options and Shift keys while clicking the Photo button.
How to choose a screen size in the Photo Booth app on Mac
The Photo Booth app lets you take photos and record videos in either full screen mode or split view accordingly. If you are working on another app while recording a video, you can use both apps at the same time. Here’s everything you need to do!
- Use Photo Booth in full screen: Point to the green button at the top left of the Photo Booth window and click Full screen button. To exit the full screen, click the same button again.
- Use Photo Booth in Split View: Move the pointer to the green button at the top left, then select Tile Window to the left of the screen or Tile Window to the right of the screen from the menu. To exit split view, click on the window.
Photo Booth is a simple, yet amazing photography app in macOS. Depending on the quality of the Mac camera lens, you can rate this feature and conclude whether it is worth it or not. If it’s good, you might love to use it, and take some time out of your schedule to share photos with your friends. What do you think about that? Try it and share your experience in the comments section below.
You may want to read these: