Did you know that you can use your Mac to take screenshots and download video from an Apple TV? You can – if your Mac is running macOS High Sierra or later.
To record video played on Apple TV:
1. Turn on Apple TV, open Settings, and select Network.
2. See “Connection” and note the Wi-Fi network name.
3. Turn on your Mac and make sure it is connected to the same network.
4. Start QuickTime Player.
5. In the QuickTime menu bar, select “File> New Movie Recording.” A new recording window opens.
6. Click the small down arrow to the right of the red record button, and a drop-down menu will appear.
7. Select Apple TV under both the camera and microphone sections.
8. Apple TV displays a screen sharing prompt. Use the Siri Remote and select “Allow.”
9. Click the red button to start recording.
To take a screenshot of your Apple TV screen from your Mac:
1. Press Shift (⇧) – Command (⌘) – 4 and the screen pointer changes to a crosshair.
2. Press the space bar. The pointer changes to a camera.
Move the pointer over the QuickTime Player window, wait for the QuickTime menu and playback control overlay to disappear, and then click the mouse or trackpad to take a screenshot of what appears on Apple TV.