Aside from being a convenient photo library, the Photos app also acts as a media sharing platform on your iOS device. You can create an album and share it with friends and family to keep them up to date with every moment of your life. The feature has much more to offer than just exchanging photos and videos. If you are interested and want to explore more, you can enable iCloud photo sharing and follow our guide to using shared albums on iPhone and iPad.
Before we begin:
- Make sure your iPhone or iPad is up to date with the latest iOS and iPadOS.
- You have already set up iCloud on your iOS device.
- To use multiple album sharing devices, all must run on the same Apple ID.
How to make a shared album on iPhone and iPad
- To open Pictures app on your iOS device.
- Press Album on the bottom.
- Now press the “✚” button at the top left.
- Select New shared album.
- Give the album a name and press Next.
- Enter the recipient’s contact number and press Create.
The shared album will be created, and the recipient will be notified with the invitation immediately.
To delete a shared album on iPhone and iPad
- Tap the shared album you want to delete.
- Go to Human beings category.
- Touch Delete Shared album from the bottom.
- Hit Delete to confirm the deletion.
The album will be deleted and removed from all your iOS devices connected to the same Apple ID and on the subscribers’ device. It will also delete all the photos in the album, so make sure you save them before proceeding with this step.
How to invite more people to see your album
- Select the album you want to share with others.
- Press Human beings from the bottom.
- Press Invite people.
- Add contact name or number and press Add.
You can also share albums with your loved ones who do not use iCloud. Open to do so shared album → Human beings Tab → enable Public websites. Now everyone can see your shared album in a browser via a shared link.
How to remove someone from the shared album on iOS
- Tap Shared Album.
- Go to Human beings section.
- Tap the contact you want to remove.
- Hit Remove the subscriber in red.
Remember that since you are the creator of the shared album, only you can remove a contact or delete the album.
How to add photos and videos to the shared album on iOS
Photos and videos can be added to the shared album in two ways. Open the shared album and press + button to add from All photos. Or,
- Open an image in Pictures category.
- Press Share button on the bottom.
- Scroll down and select Add Shared album.
- Select the shared album and add a comment if you like.
- Hit Mail to add it.
Similarly, you can select and add more photos and videos to the shared album this way.
To delete photos and videos from a shared album on iOS
- Open a shared album in the Photos app.
- Press Select top right to delete multiple files.
- Tap a photo or video and tap the Delete button at the top right.
- Press delete to confirm the deletion.
Remember that if you are the creator of a shared album, you can delete photos, videos and comments added by any subscriber. However, other members can only delete files and comments uploaded from the end.
Everything you delete will also be permanently removed from all your devices as well as your subscribers’ devices. However, files that you have already saved or downloaded to the library will not be affected.
How to save photos and videos from a shared album on iOS
When other subscribers add photos and videos to your shared album, you can save them to your photo library, so if they later delete them, you can still view them in your photo library.
- Open a photo or video that you want to save.
- Press Share button from the bottom.
- Select Save image or Save video.
List of file types supported in shared albums
Below is the list of supported image formats in shared albums
You can also add special formats such as slow motion, time lapse, memory videos and live images to a shared album. However, when you add such files, they may lose the resolution to 2048 pixels unless they are panoramic images with up to 5400 pixels. GIFTS that are 100 MB and smaller can also be shared to the album.
These are the video formats supported in a shared album.
- Fast time
Videos up to fifteen minutes long can be added with up to 720p resolution.
Note: About storage limit for shared albums
A shared album can contain a maximum of 5,000 photos and videos. Once you reach this limit, you can only add new photos and videos after deleting some from the album.
The Photos app has a really cool feature for exchanging photos and videos on your iOS device. You can easily share every moment you capture on your iPhone or iPad with your loved ones. Once you’ve tried it, you may want to stop using the social media app you used to share photos with friends and family. What do you think about that? Let us know in the comments section below.