As you expect from an Apple product, direct setup is not necessary to begin experiencing podcasts on Apple Watch. Once the Apple Podcasts app is installed on both devices, you're good to go. The only requirements are that you have watchOS 5 or later installed on Apple Watch, and you need to connect Bluetooth headphones or a speaker to Apple Watch to listen to podcasts. You cannot listen to them without a connected audio device.
How to install podcast episodes on Apple Watch
Podcasts you have stored in the built-in Podcast app are automatically moved from iPhone to Apple Watch when the latter charges. Once your iPhone is aware that Apple Watch is connected to power, it will begin transferring the files.
You can listen to podcasts from Apple Watch through Wi-Fi and LTE, depending on the model you own (Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi + LTE only). When episodes are played, they are removed from the device automatically.
How to customize the podcast experience on Apple Watch
Storage, especially on Apple Watch, is a valuable item. Therefore, I suggest that you limit the number of podcasts you store on the device. To do this, you need to make changes to the Apple Watch app for the iPhone.
- Start See the app on your iPhone.
- Touch the My Watch tab . [1
- Tap Listen Now to automatically add an episode from each subscribed podcast to Apple Watch. For example, if you subscribe to seven podcasts on the iPhone app, the latest fee from each title will be downloaded to Apple Watch. The episodes stored on the clock change when you listen to them.
- Tap Custom to select specific podcasts to sync and turn on the podcast switch you want to add. Three episodes from each podcast selected are synced with Apple Watch
How to use the Podcasts app on Apple Watch
The Podcasts app on Apple Watch will look familiar; It looks a lot like the Music app.
- Press Digital Crown on the Apple Watch to select the Home screen.
- Touch Podcasts app . On the main screen you will notice links for On the iPhone Library and then podcast artwork for your shows.
- Tap On iPhone to view podcasts that are on the phone but not necessarily installed on the clock.
- Listen Now is where you find a link to the latest episode of each podcast you follow.
- Below shows links to your podcasts that you subscribe to. Press to see a race list of all episodes in the series.
- With Episodes you will find all available episodes, sorted by newest to oldest, regardless of the podcast.
- Stations are where you can find groups of podcasts; you make stations from the Podcasts app on the iPhone.
- Touch Now you play to watch the latest podcast being played or played on Apple Watch. It contains the same playback controls that you find in the Music app.
- Tap Library to see a list of unplayed episode titles organized by release date. There is also a list showing each podcast title. If you click on any of these links, episodes appear on Apple Watch.
Note: The library is where you find episodes downloaded to Apple Watch. These episodes are available even when Apple Watch is not connected to Wi-Fi or LTE.
How to use the Apple Watch playback controls to control what is playing on iPhone
While a podcast is playing on the iPhone, you can use Apple Watch to control playback.
- Start playing a podcast on your iPhone.
- Press Digital Crown to select the Home screen.
- Touch Podcasts app .
- Touch On iPhone
Tap Now playing . Check the podcasts as follows:
- Tap Pause to stop the podcast and Play to start it.
- Press back 15 to move back 15 seconds in the podcast broadcast.
- Touch forward 30 to continue 30 seconds.
- Touch the audio icon to adjust the volume. You can also turn the digital crown on to improve the sound.
- Press 1x to change the transmission speed. You can change this to 1 / 2x and 2x as well.
In the future, it will be nice to be able to play podcasts directly from the clock without having to have headphones, and the Podcasts interface on Apple Watch can use some refinement, especially when it comes to playing podcasts from Apple Watch against the iPhone. Currently, this process is confusing and even more so, when there is no Wi-Fi or LTE connection, and episodes that are not downloaded to the portable device are missing. Anyway, bringing the Podcasts app to Apple Watch is a step in the right direction.
Do you have any questions about using the Podcasts app on Apple Watch? Add them to the comments and we will help you.
February 2019: Fixed steps involving the available parts to access podcasts on Apple Watch, as they were modified from previous versions of WatchOS.