WhatsApp is one of the most popular messaging services. Together with the app on your smartphone, you can use it via web and desktop clients. But what if you want to get WhatsApp on Apple Watch? There is no official app for watchOS. But in this article I want to show you how to receive WhatsApp notifications, read and reply to messages, listen and send voicemails, and even view photos on Apple Watch!
How to get WhatsApp notifications on Apple Watch
First of all, you need to make sure that alerts for WhatsApp are enabled. You can check from the Settings app → Alerts → WhatsApp → Make sure Allow alerts Is on.
- To open See app on the paired iPhone.
- Press Alerts.
- Scroll down and under MIRROR IPHONE ALARMS OFF: make sure to switch for WhatsApp is enabled.
Now, when you receive a WhatsApp message, you will feel a tap on your wrist. You can press Respond and send a pre-written message, write using speech to text, or use Scribble to write a custom reply.
How to use WhatsApp on Apple Watch with WatchChat 2
Download WatchChat 2: for WhatsApp on Apple Watch. It costs $ 2.99
You can use the App Store on the Apple Watch itself. Or open See app on the paired iPhone → Press App Store → Discover Watch Apps on iPhone → Press Search tab → type WatchChat 2: for WhatsApp.
By default, this app starts to appear on the Apple Watch. If not, tap on the inside of the Watch app on the iPhone My watch tab at the bottom left, scroll down to INSTALLED ON APPLEUR, press WatchChat and turn ON the switch for Show App on Apple Watch.
3. Open WatchChat 2: for WhatsApp on the Apple Watch. You will see one QR code for the first time.
4. Open WhatsApp on iPhone → press Settings → WhatsApp Web / Desktop. The camera starts automatically.
Note: If you have used WhatsApp Web elsewhere, press Scan QR code.
5. Scan the QR code displayed on the Apple Watch (step 3).
Important note: It may display an error on the WhatsApp screen of the iPhone. Do not worry. Please go back and try again.
That’s it. Your chats appear on Apple Watch. Feel free to explore the app.
How to read and reply to WhatsApp messages from Apple Watch
How to start a new WhatsApp Chat on Apple Watch
- Launch the WatchChat 2 app on your Apple Watch.
- Scroll down and press Contacts. Touch the desired contact.
- Use one of the various writing tools to send a new message directly from your wrist.
To view WhatsApp photos and videos on Apple Watch
- From Watch Home Screen, Start WatchChat 2: for WhatsApp.
- Press one chat.
- Use the touch screen or Digital Crown to go to a thumbnail. Press one.
- In a few seconds, the image in full resolution will be downloaded to your watch. Tap the image and use Digital Crown to zoom in and out.
- From now on, you can only see photos you send or receive. For video, the app shows [Media]. When you press it, nothing useful happens.
Other WhatsApp apps for Apple Watch
In addition to WatchChat 2: for WhatsApp, there are other apps you can use:
How to get WhatsApp on Apple Watch. Please note that WatchChat 2 relies on the same technology as WhatsApp Web. This means that for it to work, you always need to have a working internet connection on both your iPhone and Apple Watch.
Want to use WhatsApp on Apple Watch? Share your feedback with us in the comments section.