Screenshot by Jeff Porten
Many public Wi-Fi hotspots-such as those offered in hotels and hospitals-require you to authenticate with a captive portal page before allowing your device to access the internet. Normally, this is as simple as clicking an "I Agree" button on the page. There's just one problem: devices like the Apple TV and Nintendo Switch do not have web browsers and thus can not access these pages. Fortunately, if you happen to have a MacBook nearby, it's an easy problem to solve.
The trick is to disguise the MacBook as the browserless device you want to connect-say an Apple TV-click through the captive portal, og koble frakoblet MacBook og koble til enheten. Du kan gjøre dette ved å spoofing Apple TVs MAC-adresse, som er et unikt hardwareidentifikator for en nettverksenhet. Every Ethernet port and Wi-Fi card has a MAC address. Follow these steps:
- Find the MAC address of the browserless device you want to spoof. On the Apple TV, it's listed in Settings> General> About. If you're using Wi-Fi, it will be called the Wi-Fi Address and will look like this: 00: 14: 22: 01: 23: 45.
- Power down the browserless device, or at least make sure Det er ikke koblet til Wi-Fi-den enkleste måten å gjøre dette med en Apple TV er å unplug it. These Wi-Fi hotspots allow only one unique MAC address at a time, so if it's connected, it could prevent your MacBook from connecting in the following steps.
- Look up your MacBook's Wi-Fi interface name and MAC address by Option-clicking the Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar. The interface name should be en0 or en1.
- Select Turn Wi-Fi Off from the Wi-Fi menu.
- Open Terminal and enter this command , replacing
en0with your interface name and 00-14-22-01-23-45 with your browserless device's MAC address:
sudo ifconfig en0 ether 00-14-22-01-23-45
Yes, you need to replace the colons with hyphens. Enter your administrator password when prompted. This command changes the MAC address of your MacBook's Wi-Fi card, but only until you reboot!
- Option-click the Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar again and double check to make sure your MAC address has changed. 19659006] Turn Wi-Fi back on, connect to the hotspot's Wi-Fi network, and bring up the captive portal by trying to visit a Web site in Safari.
- Once you You've got online, restart the MacBook to restore its true MAC address.
Now you should be able to connect your Apple TV or other browser-free device directly to the Wi-Fi network in question by simply connecting it to Wi-Fi -Fi.
If you have to pay for the hotspot and do not want to incur the cost for a second device, you can use both your browserless device and your MacBook, as long as you keep the same MAC address on both og do not connect them at the same time. Dus in stap 9 hierboven, verbreek je de MacBook, Wi-Fi-uit, verbind je browserloze apparaat, en wanneer je klaar bent, verwijder de browserloze apparaat en de turn op je MacBook's Wi-Fi.
This trick could save Uw saniteit als u op een zakenreis of stuck in een ziekenhuis bent voor een langdurig verblijf en wil om te doden door tv te kijken of video games te spelen. I was in this situation recently during the birth of my second son-welcome Jeremiah Stone Centers! -Initially for his birth and then again so he could be placed under a light for two days to treat his newborn jaundice. In mijn ervaring was de meeste tijd doorgebracht in een ziekenhuis als een familielid gewoon aan het zitten, maar ik was te moe en stressed out to be productive. Being able to play games on my Nintendo Switch helped pass the time while Stone was busy cooking under his light.