What happened now
That’s it, the event is over, new phones have been unveiled, well done everyone, we did it. This is what you have already forgotten, just announced:
- A new industrial design with square edges that resembles the latest iPads Pro.
- OLED screen runs edge to edge.
- MagSafe wireless charging, like a giant Apple Watch
- Ceramic screens, for greater un-smashability.
- Larger aperture for improved low light performance
- 5G tech (with “smart data mode” to drop to 4G when speed is not required, so that battery life is preserved).
- From $ 799 / £ 799 for 64 GB devices.
iPhone 12 Mini
- As above, but less.
- From $ 699 / £ 699 for 64 GB devices
iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max
- Lidar on the camera system adds AR features and faster autofocus.
- Tele camera gets bigger zoom.
- Pro features like Dolby Vision HDR and ProRAW for professional videographers.
- From $ 999 / £ 999 for 128 GB for Pro and $ 1099 / £ 1099 for Pro Max
- It is a mini HomePod.
- And it costs $ 99 / £ 99.
iPhone 12 Pro prices
The iPhone 12 Pro costs from $ 999 and the iPhone Pro Max from $ 1099, both starting at 128 GB, and shipping from October 23. IPhones 12 will follow a month later, November 13th.
We get a neat demonstration of AR in the real world, as Apple shows how Medtronic and Jig Space use the technology to design a medical laboratory. Technology has often been a feature in user search, but perhaps that may be changing. (Probably not yet.)
Another new feature for iPhones 12 Pro: Lidar! (Lidar is … laser radar, basically?) This is the second (and third) Apple device (s) that has the technology, after the iPad Pro, and it can be used for accurate detection of 3D shapes.
It’s great for AR technology, but Apple says it will also be used for low light autofocus and for night mode portrait mode images.
More pro features for the Pro camera: iPhone 12 Pro will shoot in Dolby Vision HDR. Again, if you do not know what it means, you probably do not need it, but I can guarantee that there are a few videographers who will be very excited about that feature.
A new technology is launched with the iPhone 12 Pro: “Apple proRAW”, which tries to offer the benefits of taking pictures in RAW format (which normally offers the sensors’ raw pixel output), while the company’s computational photography is still available.
If you have not heard of RAW, this is not for you; but if you have it, it can be a big deal, saving you from having to choose between on-site technical assistance and the ability to edit the image accurately in the studio later.
As with previous years, the iPhone 12 Pro Max also has a few camera features that are unique to the larger model. Optical image stabilization is performed using “sensor shift” technology, and moves the sensor itself.
A similar industrial design as the iPhone 12 masks some differences. Some are purely visual: a new finish in stainless steel. Some are the same differences as in previous years: iPhone 12 Pro has a telephoto lens and Deep Fusion technology, which uses … computers … to make photos good?
I also think that the screen is the same size as the iPhone 12, but Apple deliberately continues the comparison and only tells us that the screen is larger, in the same form factor, than the iPhone 11 Pro.
iPhones 12 Pro
And on to the iPhones 12 Pro!
iPhone 12 prices
The iPhone 12 Mini starts at $ 699, and the iPhone 12 starts at $ 799.
No word, interesting, about internal storage. Wonder why?