Yesterday afternoon, MacBook Pro exploded during normal use. It was on my lap, plugged in, and suddenly began to emerge from both sides. I quickly placed it on the floor where it popped, the smoke increased, and it was burning. Toxic smelling smoke filled my house which triggers smoke and CO alarms. No one was hurt, fortunately, but there was some damage to my home.
The MacBook Pro is a 201
My MacBook Pro exploded today under normal use. No damage, fortunately. Some damage to the house. May have been worse – well I wasn't on a plane.
– White Panda (@whitepanda) May 29, 2019
While MacBook Pro was reportedly charging when the incident occurred, it is unclear whether an Apple power adapter or aftermarket charger was being used. ( Update: White Panda has since said he used an Apple power adapter.)
After the MacBook Pro was cooled for about an hour, White Panda said he took the notebook to an Apple Store, where employees allegedly put it in a fire extinguisher for 24 hours as a mandatory security precaution.
Apple has since "escalated" the case and said it would be in contact within five days, according to the DJ. Apple has not yet responded to our comment request, but the MacBook Pro is likely to be sent to Apple's Cupertino headquarters for investigation by its product engineers, as is typical of these situations.
Unfortunate and dangerous, this is an isolated event. The reality is that Apple produces millions of lithium-ion batteries, and while they're usually safe, a very small percentage may experience errors.
We will update this article if we return from Apple or learn additional details.