Depending on which member of the technorati elite police force or official from the nattering neighbor of negativism you read, Apple had a terrible, horrible, not good, very bad 2016.
Yes, as with most myths, There is some truth to it, but I doubt you would find a technology company – or any company – on planet Earth that would do nothing to replace its accounts with Apple Financials. It wasn't the best years for Apple, but it wasn't the worst.
Dudley, Do Right
Apple has problems. Lots of problems. But they are the kinds of problems each competitor would prefer over the problems they have. Apple puts money over your hand and then more, even though the revenue goes down, profits are falling and unit sales of big products are falling.
Terrible, horrible, not good, very poor financial result in 201
What Apple did was surprise the aforementioned police members and their neighbors with an iPhone that looked the same, but wondered everyone with everything new inside, and the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus sales are upside down, not downtown. Thanks to iPad Pro, revenue and profits stabilized if units fell slightly. The Mac continues to push, but sales are twice as large as they were just a decade or so ago, and the entire PC industry goes south thanks to mobile, and it's mobile where Apple is the industry's major moneymaker.
What did Apple do right in 2016? Let me count the roads.
- iPhone 7 – Double cameras, water resistance, stereo speakers, no headphone jack from the last century, different from perfect screen, what is not to like? Price? Apple is proud of what they do.
- Watch Series Two – Wrong good battery life, and a few thousand programs running as Dock apps or as watchface Complications added to watchOS 3.x and the smartwatch has a new definition; and most of the industry's sales and profits.
- AirPods – Even people who do not like Apple and will not like these oddly shaped devices like these oddly shaped devices. Forget about Bluetooth synchronization. This. Only. Works. Stereo. Mono. They stay good and good.
- iOS Games – Curated, iOS The iTunes App Store may not have a choice like Google Play, which has a few hundred thousand more apps. mostly crappy games, but it's the iPhone where the good ones are going to play. Pokémon GO and Super Mario Run are just some of the most amazing games ever on such a small device. I think I read a place that games on the iPhone are a bigger industry than Nintendo, Sony and Xbox combined.
- Touch ID – Let's hope it is more of the future because it works on the new MacBook Pro models much the way it does on the iPad and iPhone.
- TouchBar – Honestly, the critics of these have to try it for more than two minutes. The old keyboard had a mostly static function key row that almost nobody used. Apple did not replace it. The function keys are still there in the MacBook Pro, but now all programs can have their own function keys. Also. And some of them are useful supplements that do not require Advil or Aleeve to soften the bleeding of tendinitis in the elbow and shoulder, a disorder suffering from Windows PC users thanks to their touch screen.
- Apple TV Apps – I have mixed feelings here. The apps and games are good, easily accessible and seen, but there is still jumping, skipping and jumping between cable TV networks and Apple TV apps. Worse, apps are a pain to navigate in terms of the simplicity of a cable TV remote (which is bluntly ugly, but works quite simply while the Apple TV remote control is simple but doesn't work well).
- macOS Sierra iOS 10 – Apple performs every year with more stability, more security, more integration with the ecosystem, and it's completely free.
- AAPL – Well, it's been an up and down year but over a year ago. Donald Trump takes credit.
There is only a partial list of what Apple did right. They also replaced the wife's new iPhone 7 when the camera stopped working, so that's it. I just didn't have the heart to put the latest 2016 MacBook Pro models on the list.