Photo by Gizmodo
Over at Gizmodo, Kashmir Hill has released one of this year's most impressive journalistic projects. Every week for five weeks, she used a custom VPN to block a particular tech giant Amazon, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and Apple from her life while still trying to do her job and exist in the modern world. Of course, she also stopped using all of the hardware from these companies, and VPN made sure she couldn't access services hosted by Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud. In the sixth week she went out and blocked all five tech giants from her life. The titles of each of the six articles tell ̵
- I tried to block Amazon from my life. It was impossible
- I cut Facebook out of my life. Surprisingly I missed it
- I cut Google out of my life. It screwed up everything
- I cut Microsoft out of my life – or so I thought
- I cut Apple out of my life. It was devastating
- I cut the "Big Five" Tech Giants from my life. It was hell
The morality of history? In short, retreating to the hinterland and increasing yaks, the only way to deal with our dependence on these companies is to move forward – it's not going back.
Subscribe today so you don't miss any TidBITS articles!
Every week you get technical tips, thorough reviews and insightful news analysis for discerning Apple users. For 28 years we have published professional, member-supported technical journalism that makes you smarter.
Registration confirmation will be sent to you.